Tuesday 2 July 2013

Too Hot for Buckles

So we are back home and ready to post away, today Rhianna is going to talk of her travels in the heat!

To start out on the right foot, let me acknowledge to the masses that I don't do well in heat. I sunburn with 75 sunscreen on. When I lived in Melbourne I spent a day under the bed dying as it was the coolest spot in our house. When we went to Mexico I spent days indoors in air conditioning and nights outdoors, if I could help it. So with this in mind, we headed to Hawaii a couple weeks ago. 

Not a huge surprise that it was too hot for me. But that's not the reason for this post. It seems a lot of people talk about blends being good for summer etc. I thought some might find my opinions useful (keeping in mind that I'm on the extreme end of spectrum). 

Lesson 1/Buckles: I brought the SSC thinking it would be cooler. False. I found the weight of it and the bulkiness to be just as hot as anything else and a bit too cumbersome for my too hot brain. 

Lesson 2/Wrap Sizes: long wraps were not an option. Single layer carries only, meaning short wraps only. 

Lesson 3/Blends: I think the carry is far more important than the blend. I had a thin cotton, thicker cotton and 100% linen wrap. The difference between these three choices were quite minimal. I do think weight made a slight difference as I preferred my linen option over the thicker cotton. 

My humble verdict: If you are like me and meant for more chilly climates, and you're worried about a trip or the summer heat and babywearing, I would take a short wrap (for me that's a 3). I would be less fussed with fiber and more fussed with the density of the weave (does it feel like it will be breathe). And lastly, just know that despite all of this, I was still really hot. 



SWEATING at 9 am the first day. Ruck was definitely the preferred carry for the week. 

  Ruck, 100% linen

I didn't love a front carry in the heat, but trying to get him to nap on my back can be difficult. Almost as difficult as trying to get him to leave his hat in...


This photo is special because Elias had officially been on the outside as long as the inside! No rave reviews for buckles in the heat though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment