Sunday 7 April 2013

Explanations

I am going to preempt this post with some back story:

Recently there has been some posts about how Mum's similar to Rhianna and I are being vain and are forgetting the true purpose of babywearing, by posting all our wrapping photos. And that all we care about is our "stash" and that we are showing off what we have. Well in response to this we have composed some thoughts.

Rhianna:
Didymos OS Black and White size3
 In defense of my crazy babywearing photos.
(I know that the people who read this, are likely not the demographic I am hoping to reach, but I shall say my piece anyways).
I just want to say that I have NEVER been a fan of photos of myself. I cringe at cameras and often make strange faces in an effort to deflect my own insecurities about being photographed. I decided after the first few weeks with Elias that I didn’t want to look back on these amazing first months and see photos of auntie, grandpa, friends and random passerbys holding my beautiful son. I wanted to be able look back on these amazing months and see me and my baby. And so it began - taking daily photos of him as he did every little thing, often in a wrap snuggled close to me. I hope that I will have photos that instantly bring back those sweet, snuggly, sleep deprived first few weeks. I hope I have photos where I remember endlessly walking with my son in a wrap as it was the only way to get him to sleep. I hope I have photos that help me remember exactly what it felt like when my son kicked and wiggled and leg-straightened right out of his seat. I don’t let photos taken take away from our time together, there’s no posing or re-shooting to get a perfect photo. Just a few quick seconds to try and capture just how wonderful it is to be his mom.
I understand that some people might think I am crazy for taking so many awful iPhone photos of Elias and I. I understand that some people think it’s vanity or showing off. I understand that some people think it is a way for me to parade a babywearing/wrap obsession. But let it be known, I take all of these photos of Elias and I because I can’t believe how fast time is going by and I want to have mementos of all of our regular, every day activities so that I can cherish and treasure these special moments.
Jamie:
Oscha Braid Pine Size 4
Though I echo very similar sentiments to my sister, I am a little more off the deep end in my wrap obsession. For this reason I wanted to add to her very well thought out words.

For me the connection I have with my son when I wear him is the most special thing in our parent child relationship. We are 15 months into this journey and babywearing has created a bond that will always be there. But babywearing has also done something else for me, something that I have been looking for for a very long time. It gives me a hobby.

I have dabbled in all sorts of things, but nothing really grabbed me, until wrapping. I have jumped into the wrap world with two feet, I want to know the history of the ways we wrap today, about different wrap companies, different carries, all the different wrapping qualities out there and now I am learning to weave to understand the whole process. 

This in turn led me to want to try all sorts of wraps, and like any true interest, it became a collection. This collection is like any other, I want something that I find beautiful, that is exciting to get and yes maybe it is hard to find or highly sought after (I could have explained any collection, whether it be antique spoons or magic cards). 

This isn't a tendency that I expect everyone to understand, but I know all the die hard collectors understand.  They understand that when you get a new item, you are excited about it, yes that means you might take some pictures and share it with people who hold a common interest. This (at least when I do it) is not to say "HA, I have something better than you," but more "Eeek, get excited with me". So if anyone has taken offense on anything that I have posted, I am truly sorry it was never meant that way.

But on the note of vanity, yes these are beautiful pieces of cloth. And I view them as a piece of my wardrobe, so when I wear this beautiful piece of cloth I feel good about myself. Which I am sure any Mum, new or a seasoned veteran, would say is something you should cherish. When you are tired, covered in bananas or maybe even poop, and you take the time to wash your hands wrap up your sweet little love in these wonderful wraps, you can truly feel great about yourself, and to me that is invaluable. 


Linuschka Kalejoskop Lila Size 5

3 comments:

  1. I am a (very) new mom who was first introduced to the idea of baby wearing after someone sent me a link to Jamie's blog. Sure, I'd heard of Bjorns and Ergos, but it wasn't until I found Jamie's blog that I started to understand the true potential - and rewards - associated with carrying your little one. When I reached out to the baby wearing community in Victoria to ask for some hands-on advice about where and how to start wearing my baby, both Jamie and Rhianna offered to meet me at a local coffee shop to go over the basics. Their ideas and advice were inspiring - both talked about the joys (and techniques) of baby wearing, and shared personal and practical advice that got me started on my own baby wearing journey. They emphasized that it wasn't bout how many wraps you own or what they cost, but about how it felt to do it. It was about finding physical and emotional empowerment in carrying your baby on your body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What lovely words! We are so happy you will get to take in all your little lady's wonderful snuggles! If you ever are in need of anything else, just ask!

      Delete
  2. is the black and white os wrap you have from the recent linited edition range or an old one? Thanks

    ReplyDelete