Thursday 11 April 2013

Series: Getting Baby on Your Back Part 1

So, I am going to do some photo tutorials on how to get your baby on your back, but because there are a few different ways, I am splitting them up over a few days.

Today I will be showing how to "Santa Toss" your baby on to your back. This method is best for smaller babies.

A safety note for back carries:
If you are new to wrapping or back wrapping, it is best to attempt this with a doll first, so you can get the feel for it. Then when you are ready to go for it with your baby, please attempt over a soft surface, preferably with a partner. 

Back wrapping, or really wrapping in general works the best when you are calm, because your baby picks up on your anxiety and tends to squirm or cry. So practicing will really be an asset in your back wrapping adventures. Read through this and watch a couple videos before you attempt.

To Santa Toss:
*all tutorials in this series are assuming that you are doing a simple carry like Ruck, where your middle marker is placed in the center of the wrap. But the method is the same no matter what carry you do.
I use left and right respectively in this post and put them in brackets, because this could be done on the opposite side as well. 


First find a flat surface and spread your wrap out, placing the middle marker in the center of your surface.
Now place your baby on the wrap with their back on the middle marker. 
 First bring the wrap over both of your baby's shoulders.
Bring the wrap to the center on both sides and hold them together.


Next pull taught the bottom of the wrap, and bring it up and through their legs. Place this in the same hand as holds the other parts of the wrap.
 You should have now created a little bag. At this point you should be able to pick your baby up securely. (like a little hammock, or one of those bags on the end of a stick that cartoon Hobos carry)
Now here is the trickier part: note this baby is too big for this and I am not strong enough. Worst combination.
But here it goes, while holding your gathered up wrap bundle, lift your baby up, supporting their back.
Then you lift up and slowly bring your baby up and over your shoulder. With a smaller baby you will be able to support more of their back.

 Lift your baby up onto your shoulder, (your baby will be in contact with your body at all times)
Prop your baby on to the top of your shoulder. You will be able to lower you baby into position. (if I were to do this again I would switch which hand I was holding the wrap "bag" with, that way my arm would be able to reach further on his back/bum at this point. But I only got one chance for this one) 
Now that I have switched hands it makes more sense. But if you started with your hand in the wrong sides like I did, I kept my hand on Elias' back, then transfered hands on his back)
Then I pulled the wrap tail that I want hanging over my (right) shoulder up and on to my shoulder.
If the wrap tail for the (left) shoulder is hanging down between you, reach behind your back and pull it up and over your (left) shoulder. Do this while supporting your baby's bum with your other hand.
If when you get your baby on your back, you find your wrap is like mine below (all on once side). Grab the tail closest to your neck (make sure they aren't twisted) and bring it up and over your head on to your left shoulder. Do this while supporting your baby's bum with your other hand.
Now that your wrap tails are on both shoulders, make sure they aren't twisted. Do this while supporting your baby's bum with your other hand.
Then find the top rail (closest to your neck) and snug it TIGHT with both hands. Doing this keeps your baby on your back, as long as you have this tension your baby should stay put.
At this point there are a few different things to do: Always keeping the tension, twist the wrap rails together (left and right side), and hold it in your teeth. Or what I do is, I fold one side on top of the other and pin it to my chest with my chin.

So you can use this method with any back carry, your next step is to make a "seat" for your baby, but that will be another tutorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment