Wednesday 3 April 2013

Importance of Taking Your Time

This is not the carry in question, but an example of the importance of getting the slack out.

I wanted to share a recent wrap experience that was a definite babywearing fail.
I've noticed that people, myself included, can at times downplay the learning curve of wrapping in an effort to share and spread our love. Babywearing, in its many forms, can be very safe for you and baby. But there is a learning curve, and even when you have a carry down you still have to be alert and thorough.
My scary tale: I was putting Elias in a ruck on my back in a busy restaurant and I felt the pressure of lots of eyes watching me. I did a really quick job. I knew it wasn't right, but asked my husband how it looked. He said it looked fine, which it did. Moments later Elias tipped backwards against the top rail. It had been a teeny bit twisted within the ruck strap. When Elias kicked back on me (which he tends to do) he was able to move outwards taking the excess slack with him. My husband was there so he "caught him". I know he couldn't have actually fallen out (due to the cross passes under his legs and there wasn't enough slack for that much movement), It was still scary. Not to mention it would have been really tricky to correct if I didn't have the extra hands of my partner.
So here are my lessons learned: take the time needed to ensure all the slack is out, don't be lazy or finish with a sloppy wrap job and don't let myself be intimidated by interested passersby!
For anyone new to back wrapping - please don't be scared off, just know that there are things you must do to ensure safety. I'll let Jamie link some good resources, as I'm not as versed in the bw'ing world and she is (clearly) a master back wrapper when compared to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment