Wednesday 27 March 2013

Churning


So I have to confess, at first I went a bit wrap crazy. I was all, BUY ALL THE WRAPS. But I meant to be all, WEAR ALL THE BABIES. 


In the geeky wrap community I would be called a churner (on a budget). Since November, I have owned 13 wraps (I think, I can't even really remember). That's CRAZY! I own 5 now, 4 for me and 1 that I have loaned to a good friend. My dear sister pointed out that I was being very impulsive. I wasn't making thoughtful purchases as many wrap COLLECTORS do. I was just buying things I thought were pretty/fun/cool. And then selling wraps that were just as pretty/fun/cool to pay for the impulse buy. And impulsivity is no good when you're buying $100+ items. Be impulsive with socks, or gum, not wraps.
So impulsive epiphany followed by reflection = no more buying ANY of the wraps, right? Here's the thing though, they're really pretty. They are an essential article of my daily wardrobe. It would be like narrowing down my clothes to 4 shirts and then never buying a different shirt. Doable for sure. But not fun.
So here's my plan: Avoid envy and jealousy. Do not covet. Ensure no new money is spent. If I love a wrap, do I love it more than one I own, or am I just bored? Is the new wrap a practical size and blend? And most importantly remember that the goal is not to buy all the wraps. The goal is to wear my baby. To keep him close and savor every moment we spend together.
*Disclaimer: I'm not one for hash tags. But I want to very clearly state that I am aware that this post is very #firstworldproblems -esque. Life is so hard for me because I can afford 5 baby carriers. Sob sob. My deepest apologies if this has offended you, and rest assured, I know how bad it sounds.


2 comments:

  1. Love this post! Thanks for sharing. I'm in a similar place right now too. After going a bit off the deep end, I now have 12 wraps and need to downsize. But going down to just 5, you are one brave mama! Is the last picture the stack you kept or the stack that left? I have a Mea woolie that I will never part with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No the ones that made the cut are... (they are some from the first picture)
    Aialik whales 3
    Black and White OS 3
    Kalejdoskop Gelb 4
    Zara Red and White 6

    ReplyDelete