Wednesday 6 February 2013

Beautiful Blends

My lovely wraps
The special thing about wraps, is that different wraps work for different people in so many ways. There are a few factors that go into the perfect wrap, there are looks, wrapping qualities, length and the blend of fibers. For each wrapping Mum there might be something specific they look for; for one Mum it might be a thin wrap, another might want heavily textured, another might want one that has a hemp blend. For me personally, I like a medium thickness wrap without too much texture and I have to love the look, but as for the fiber content of my wraps they have a range. I like what each one offers at different times. In my collection I have had cotton, linen, wool and silk, in different percentage blends and have loved the feel of all of them!

The Non-Blend Wraps:
      Miles in Vatani Solsbury Size 4 100% Cotton


As far as I know the only 100% content wraps are cotton and linen, if I am wrong please let me know, I would love to know what else is out there.

100% cotton is a great place to start, especially if you still have a little baby. Cotton wraps are normally easy to break in and easily accessible used! Due to different weaving techniques a cotton wrap could be super supportive or light and airy (perfect for an itty bitty one). Out of all my wraps the majority are 100% cotton, for me personally, I like the ease of cotton. You do not need to worry about washing, they really can be a tool to make my day easier, rather than something to take extra caution with. These wraps are tossed in the wash (and I do put them in the dryer, although most won't recommend that). I have never come across a cotton wrap that I hated, so they are an awesome place to start.



Miles in linuschka kleidosop lila size 4, 100% Linen

100% linen wraps are among the most secure and sturdy you will find. They are perfect for heavy babies and toddlers, these wraps can support really any weight!! Another plus to linen wraps is that once you wrap your wrap, it stays put, no slipping or sliding around. The downside to linen wraps is that they are sturdy, but a well broken in linen wrap is amazing!! (A post on breaking in wraps, coming soon!) My Linuschka is soft and floppy, a real dream to wrap with. I remember Rhianna having a pair of linen pants growing up, they were better than pajamas they were so comfy ( I always coveted them) this wrap feels just like them!!


The Blends:

There are many different fibers that go into blends and then there are many different percentages of those blends that go into a wrap. So I will give a general break down of what the blend's characteristics are, based on a specific fiber and cotton blend.

Linen:


      Miles in Natibaby Silver Passiflora 5, 50% Cotton 50% Linen



Linen blend wraps have similar qualities to 100% Linen wraps, but the cotton adds a little extra cush. The cush comes from cotton's ability to stretch, the cotton fibers in the blend wrap will give a little bounce to your wrap job, similar to shocks on a bike, as you move the wrap moves with you. Some people find this particularly pleasant on their shoulders. Again, these wraps are best when well broken in, but that process is quick and your stiff wrap will be cushy in no time, don't worry!

      Elias in Natibaby Mea Black and White Size 6, 70% Cotton 30%Linen


Hemp:

We had to reach out for help on this one, because neither Rhianna or I have tried a hemp wrap, so this write up is courtesy of Kristy Westendorp (a local babywearing Mum). Thanks Kristy!


What to say about hemp? It's awesome for starters! It takes a bit of breaking in but once it's there it has this magical combination of being soft and supportive at the same time. It has very little give which makes it awesome for big kids without experiencing any sagging. It's super breathable which makes it a great fibre for summmer or tropical vacations. As a bonus hemp is a sustainable fibre so you can feel good about that too!


Silk:
  Elias in Natibaby Deers in Wine Size 6, 70% Cotton 30% Silk

Silk blends can be more delicate, thin and airy, or they could be thick and luscious. Speaking from personal experience, my silk wrap is thin, it glides through the passes when wrapping and it stays in place. Rhianna's silk wrap was thick and smooth, it was also very easy to wrap with. But across the board these wraps are shimmery, they have such an elegant way about them. A silk wrap really makes you feel great about yourself on any give day, even with a t-shirt and jeans. The do take some specific washing care, temperature and what not, but nothing to be scared of! 


     Miles in Didymos India Size 2, 70% Cotton 30% Tussah Silk
 Wool:
  Oscha Strato Aequus Size 2 (with a sling ring), 54% cotton 46% Lambswool 


I know wool isn't for everyone, but for the wool lovers out there, we are kindred spirits! Wool wraps are probably the highest maintenance of all the wraps out there. They need to be hand washed or on a hand wash setting, they need to be flat air dried and do use special detergent. But the result you get from putting in the effort, is a substantial wrap that adapts to the weather you are in. Wool as a fiber is known to be breathable in the summer and warm beyond belief in the winter. My wool wrap feels like a blanket to cuddle up with and wraps great! I love wool and with a little effort you can love it too!

I encourage you to go out and try a blended fiber wrap that you haven't before, because you never know, you might find exactly what you never knew you were missing. I must be off to try a hemp wrap!!

A late addition of Bamboo, contributed by Elizabeth Watt:

Why I love my bamboo/cotton blend. It was the first used wrap that I purchased and the difference between it and brand new cotton was indescribable. The bamboo was perfect for my little baby. It is so easy to wrap with and molds to the baby so nicely. It is really easy to get the slack out and get a nice supportive carry. I'm currently looking for a linen/bamboo blend as my baby closes in on 20lbs, and I'm hoping for the support of linen with the conformity of bamboo.

3 comments:

  1. Have you tried a bamboo blend? I'm really curious about those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried bamboo (I actually forgot about it for the post haha). From what I have heard about it, is that it is perfect for little babies, but can be kind of slippy for bigger kids. will ask a local Mum if they can do a little write up for you.

      Delete
  2. I have added a friends review on bamboo

    ReplyDelete