Thursday 7 February 2013

Closeness is What Counts!

Elias in Didymos India size 2

I want to start out with the MOST important message for new Babywearers - wear your baby (safely) as much as you can and as comfortably as you can.
With this in mind I would like to acknowledge that Jamie and I Iove woven wraps. For us, these carriers are superior for comfort, design and interest. But this is OUR opinion based on our experience and it will inevitably differ for all parents.

Comfort: I have an SSC and both my husband and I find the back clip tricky, I find it a bit diggy on my shoulders and I find a wrap takes less time now that I am used to wrapping. Having said that, so many people LOVE their SSC and if you find an SSC easier - use it! If you find it more comfortable - use it! If your baby prefers it - use it!
Design - I prefer the look of wovens. If you prefer the look of an SSC or mei tai - use one of those!
Interest - Jamie and I think learning about wraps is a fun hobby. New types of carries are interesting, challenging and potentially more comfortable than the last. Having said that, I did FWCC exclusively until 4 months because I was happy with it. Like anything, there is a spectrum of engagement and you do not need to know or care about brands, weaves, blends and/or multiple ways to tie a wrap. But if you do, so do we, and that's what many future posts will be about. If you don't, please please don't let our excitement discourage you from sharing your experience and being confident in your decision to wear your baby in whatever (safe) way you choose.

And last but not least, I want to acknowledge cost. This I'm sure is a prohibitive factor. Jamie and I are lucky to have a teeny bit of extra money which of late has been saved and put towards woven wraps. We also have been lucky to receive wraps as Christmas and birthday gifts from generous family. I am not meaning to sound apologetic for thus, I say this because I don't want a parent to give up on wearing their baby because they can't afford it. I know this is a reality sometimes, but there are much less cost prohibitive carriers than wovens and we hope that we aren't alienating parents from babywearing because of the perception that we can buy endless carriers at the drop of a hat.

Miles in Didymos Indio Kolbalt Rouge Size 2

No comments:

Post a Comment