Tuesday 5 February 2013

Decoding the Code

Elias in Vatani Whales Aiailik, Size 3

Okay, so now that Jamie's introduced you to the basics - what types of carriers are out there, I thought I'd interject with a note of acknowledgement. I know that if I was new to this and read these "basics" I would be feeling overwhelmed and I would quit. After I all, I have a VERY fancy stroller, why do I need a carrier? But wait - don't quit! If you don't have a Jamie nearby to peer pressure you to try again and force you to keep practicing, let us fill that role. DON'T GIVE UP!


Elias in Diva Milano Merletti Emineza Size 6
Here is what I'm going to suggest:
1. Take a pause. Grab your baby and hug her/him. This is the feeling you are trying to prolong throughout your day, while simultaneously helping you to get things done. Best of both worlds, right?!
2. Remember that often when you start something new there is a learning curve. The first few days at a new job suck. Then you figure it out and it's hard to remember that it was ever so foreign. If I can figure this out, anyone can, trust me!
3. Don't get caught up in all the details. Just find something you like (whether it's the look, the feel, what you are more drawn to...whatever) and just try. 
4. Find a friend, colleague or local Facebook group who might be able to help you in person. Or try The Babywearer, watch Youtube videos or ask us questions. 



Miles in Girasol Chococabana Size 5
Below is a glossary that will help you to sort through this bizarre baby wearing language. But remember, it's just jargon about the details. Don't get caught up in them, it will come with time. And while you're waiting let us help you find a way to keep your baby close!


Elias in Natibaby Deer in Wine, Size 6



Courtesy of Thebabywearer.com!!
http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/faq.php
  • Carrier Types and Styles
    ABC – Asian-style baby carrier
    MT – mei tai
    SSC - soft-structured carrier
    WCMT - Wrap conversion Mei Tai
    HB- Half Buckle
    GSW – German style woven (wrap)
    Onbu - onbuhimo
    Pod - podaegi, podegi, podeagiRS – ring sling
    SPOC – simple piece of cloth (a wrap; often refers to a homemade one)
    LE - limited edition

    Carrier Positions and Methods of Tying (Wraps)
    BWCC- back wrap cross carry
    BWCC w/ CB- back wrap cross carry with a chest belt
    CHCC – coolest hip cross carry
    DH - double hammock (aka chunei back carry) 
    FCC - front cross carryFFO – front facing out
    FWCC- front wrap cross carry
    HCC - hip cross carry
    RHC - Robyn's Hip Carry
    PHC - poppins hip carry
    SHBC - Secure High back carry
    JBC – Jordan’s back carry
    P-WCC - pocket wrap cross carry
    T2T – Tummy-to-tummy, also called snuggle hold
    WCC - wrap cross carry 
    TC - Taiwanese carry
    WPBC- Wiggle-proof back carry
    DRS2S - Double rebozo with a shoulder to shoulder chest belt


    Internet Forum/Chat References and For Sale or Trade Terms
    BN – Brand New
    BRB - Be Right Back
    bump – Contentless post made for the purpose of “bumping” a thread to the top of the forum
    EUC – Excellent Used Condition
    FB – Feedback
    FFS- Free For Shipping
    FSOT – For Sale Or Trade
    FS – For Sale
    FT – For Trade
    FA - For Auction 
    GN - Gender Neutral
    GUC – Good Used Condition
    HTF - Hard To Find
    HSA - Highly sought after
    IHA - I Have Available (usually refers to trade items)
    IRL - In Real LifeISO/IDSO – In (Desperate) Search Of
    NAK – Nursing At Keyboard
    NIP – New In Package
    NWT – New With Tags
    NWOT – New Without Tags
    OOAK - One Of A Kind
    OP - Original PosterOT - Off Topic
    PM – Private Message
    PP - PayPal
    PPD – Postage Paid Domestic (shipping cost is included in price)
    TBW – TheBabyWearer.com
    TDF - To Die For
    VGC –Very Good Condition

    Family and Relationships
    BF – boyfriend or best friend
    BFF - best friend forever
    DH – dear (darling, darned, doofus) husband
    DF/DP/DW - dear fiance(e)/partner/wife
    DS/DD/DC - dear son/daughter/child*ILs/
    PILs – in-laws/parents-in-law
    LO – loved one/little one
    SO - significant other
    FIL/MIL - father in law/mother in law
    BIL/SIL - brother in law/sister in law

    General Common Phrases
    AFAIK - as far as I know
    ASAP - as soon as possible
    ATM – at the moment
    BTW - by the way
    BTDT - been there, done that 
    FTR - for the record 
    FWIW - for what it's worth
    FYI - for your information
    HTH - hope this helps
    IIRC - if I recall correctly
    IMHO - in my humble opinion
    IMNSHO – in my not-so-humble opinion
    IME - in my experience
    IMO - in my opinion
    ITA - I totally agree
    IOW – in other words
    IYKWIM - if you know what I mean
    IYSWIM - if you see what I mean
    JIC – just in case
    JM(H)O - just my (humble) opinion
    KWIM - know what I mean?
    LMK – let me know
    LOL - laughing out loud
    OTOH - on the other hand
    POV - point of view
    PSA - public service announcement
    ROFL/ROTFL - rolling on the floor laughing
    ROTFLMAO - rolling on the floor laughing my a** off
    TIA - thanks in advance
    TBH – to be honest
    TMI – too much information (relates to the disclosure of very personal information, often regarding bodily functions)
    TTFN - ta ta for now
    WSS - what she said (agreeing with something said by previous poster

1 comment:

  1. As off subject as this might be, I just wanted to mention that I really love your sweater in that last photo!

    ReplyDelete