Friday 8 February 2013

Trial and Error


Miles in a borrowed Oscha Japanese Knot Chiisai Satori Size 4 (thanks Morgan)

So tonight I am going to put myself out there to show that no one is perfect and that wrapping is an acquired skill that you just keep on learning. I know that the carefully selected photos are of perfect wrap jobs look great, but that is because we don't take photos of our terrible wrap jobs. (Well sometimes we do, and here is the story of this one).
 
Wrap fail in Oscha Starry Night Vespers Size 6


 So this carry is called Taiwanese Carry (link to wrapping instructions at the bottom), but the general concept is this: You have one of the wrap tails hanging over one shoulder, the other is coming under the arm pit, you then proceed to twist that tail around the one over your shoulder and around your baby.
Sounds easy enough, well I will tell you it isn't.

That photo is of my first attempt with a size 6 wrap, for the life of me I couldn't keep the tension on the either side of the wrap, so I ended up with Miles down by my bum, leaning so far back. Let's just say I got a failing grade. But it was a first try, and almost every first try is a fail (unless you are blessed by the wrap Gods and just have natural skills).

Here is a photo of the excess slack in the over the shoulder pass (keep in mind that should be TIGHT on my shoulder)



I was feeling discouraged, this was Wednesday night. Well, I had been thinking about this carry all yesterday and this morning. In my head I was going over the passes and thinking how I could better tighten it and where I needed to keep tension. So I watched the video another time, paying close attention and attempted again.

This was the result:



The chest twists are nice and close together, Miles is high and tight, really everything is just snug. If you had asked me my opinion on the comfort of this carry Wednesday night, I would have said, "there is no reason for anyone to do this carry." But tonight, I would recommend any practiced wrapper to try it out (and try it out again). It was super comfy for our walk, and the shoulder straps could be fanned out to distribute the weight evenly.

So in the end with a little perseverance I am left with a carry that I will keep coming back to, and with a sense of accomplishment!

Plus Miles really liked it, his face says it all. 


This is the link to Wrapababy's video Tutorial: enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMtGbEHCJzw

No comments:

Post a Comment