Tuesday 19 February 2013

Sharing the Love

Elias in a custom dyed Heartiness Size 5

I met a woman today who saw me wrapping and stopped her conversation to tell me about how she grew up in Africa where the women around her back-wrapped with a piece of cotton. She said she learned from them and that she then wrapped her own children (though she called it swaddling). Anyone else find this kind of interaction happens all the time when wearing their babies? Moms and Grandmas stop to tell me how they wrapped their kids when they were little. Other moms with wraps stop to chat about brands/blends/carries. Parents with their little ones in SSC carriers stop to ask what it is I am using. The odd Dad who is curious has asked about wraps. The inquisitive glance of a family with their little one in a stroller. And of course the passerby who are positive you need help when attempting a back wrap! Whatever the reason, it's always so fun to share stories and experiences about wearing Elias.

Elias Vatanai Aialik Whales Size 3
I think that one of the most interesting things about motherhood so far has been how women who wouldn't otherwise hang out, come together to share in the amazing journey of being a mum. I love that wraps are a beautiful, cozy way to engage with other parents and keep my little man close!


Elias in Ellevill Zara Curry Size 4
Any readers want to share stories about strangers they've met or friends they've made because of baby wearing? Please leave a comment, I'd love to read your stories!

1 comment:

  1. This isn't really meeting someone but I was stopped in the street the other day by an older lady who didn't speak much English. I think she wanted to be able to say more but she said "So cute! So cute!". I had the feeling that she was familiar with wrapping/BW back in the day in her home country (maybe China). I am not really expressing it well here but it was a nice moment!

    ReplyDelete