Saturday 23 February 2013

Community


So after my last post I got to thinking about motherhood and communities. I remember when I first had my son and Jamie was talking about joining a babywearing group on Facebook, I thought it was BIZARRE. Strap your baby on, good to go. Full stop. What do you need a group for?
Aside from the nonstop wrap discussions that take place, it's more than that. Having any kind of community to share in the moments of early motherhood is such a gift. Sorry to be a bit cheesy, but it's true. I feel so grateful for the mums I have met in my prenatal class, at baby group each week and in our local baby wearing Facebook group. It's a place to learn, share and experience the new, scary and amazing moments of motherhood with such a diverse and interesting group of women.
I love that baby wearing has allowed me the opportunity to meet a group of mums who I can learn from and share with. And also conveniently talk endlessly about this BIZARRE world of fabric!

Also, I guess I want to add that if you are still thinking this is all a bit bizarre. If you're in the 'strap on your baby and go' category - that is a-okay. No judgement. Stop by and get support if you need it, join in when you want to, but at the end of the day if your baby is close and you are happy the rest is all just extra.
Anyone else have the experience of unexpectedly finding themselves in a new mum-community and really feeling at home?

The Mums from my prenatal class

No comments:

Post a Comment